Saturday, April 10, 2010

Crafty Idea For Mother's Day


So my mom is one of those mom's who would much rather us kids {even though we are grown} make her something that comes from the heart then to spend money on a material thing that is just a thing. Mother's Day is my one of my favorite days to celebrate & to make special somethings for my mom, sister & mother in law. This year I decided to make cute frames. It cost me about $40 for everything.. some of the stuff I had in my scrapbook collection.. but the main stuff I purchased with the $40 at Ben Franklin.

1st you will need to but wooden frames: 

Cost $4.99 each

2nd You need to pick out scrapbook stickers you want to place on your frame {I did this before the paper to give me inspiration}.

Cost $4.49 each 

3rd You need to pick out your scrap paper. If you have some in your scrapbook stuff even better :-) also you will need either scissors or an x-acto knife.. I found the scissors are better

Cost $.99 each

4th you will need Mod Podge & a sponge. There are 3 different kinds of Mod Podge I purchased the satin for a shinny finish.

Cost $5.99

5th Take the frame & scrap paper & trace the outer part of the frame & the inner part of the frame.

6th take the x-acto knife & cute the inner square out {that sounds funny to me.. hehe} & then take the scissors & cutter the outer square.
 Now this is what you should have completed.. so far.
 7th take the mod podge & get some one the sponge {NOT A TON EITHER} & put in on frame. Then place the paper on the wood. Then paint over the paper once you have it in place with more mod podge.

8th.. now the hard sticky work is done.. now decorate it up.. I used scrap piece's & the scrapbook stickers to make it my own..


Now you have to let it sit for awhile & don't worry about the bubbles.. as it is drying smooth them out.. but wait about a 1/2 hour before doing that. Then when you are done finish it off with a sweet picture & you will have your finished product.


I am also going to write a sweet message on the back of the frame & date it as well.. I just need to find my permanent marker... humm

So that is it.. I would give an estimated time on making this if I didn't have an 18 month old who is the center of the world in our house hold so it did take me ALL afternoon to do this :-) mostly while she napped so I would guesstimate about 2 hours.. but that is because I didn't want to mess it up.