Sunday, April 11, 2010

She Will ALWAYs Be My Baby Girl

So since shiloh was born we have had the hardest time getting her to sleep in a bassinet, crib & playpen. It's been a back & forth battle that has put a lot of strain on us. Shiloh will cry at night in her crib.. sometimes I let her cry for an hour sometimes a little less. Other times she falls asleep after crying so long but only for a few hours & then wakes up screaming.. so into our bed she goes. I have tried EVERYTHING!! I have let her fall asleep on the couch with us then we put her in her bed & then she will wake up almost always in the middle of the night crying again. We have tried letting her just cry & cry & cry & it just never stops so what do we end up doing.. bringing her in our bed. Some nights we are lucky & we get a full nights sleep & our beds to ourselves but not always like it should be. I can't remember the last night I had a good nights sleep.. or my back didn't hurt from only getting a smidge of the bed because Shiloh has decided to sleep horizontal in the bed. I can't remember having a week where I didn't wake up to a foot in my face.. kick in the ribs.. or her head butting me. The bigger she gets the worse it is. Don't get me wrong I love snuggling my baby.. I love that she hates being away from us.. but I also love sleep & to be comfortable while I sleep.

So we have gone back and forth since she turned a year old about converting her to a bed.. the questions that we have been replaying are like a broken record: "Is she too young still" "Should we just fight it a little longer" "We need to be stronger about not getting her" "Do we get her a toddler bed, convert her crib or just get her a twin bed" "Are we bad parents because we can't get her to sleep in her bed" "Do we spoil her" "If we get her a bed then this means she isn't a baby anymore doesn't it" so now not only have I been loosing sleep because sharing the bed or being woken up to her crying but now I have been having anxiety that keeps me up late & questions & thoughts replaying in my head.

So we finally decided it was time. Time for Shiloh to have a big girl bed.. we have been looking at different ideas for the last few months & today we went & looked again & had her test them out & she was quite the trooper. I must say if she had it completely her way she would get a bunk bed because she loved those for sure.. but they scare me & I don't want a bed that big in my baby girls room. We thought about a twin bed but they were all so high she would have a heck of a time getting in & out. We really were going to get her a daybed with a trundle bed so when she had sleep overs with Olivia or her cousin or for days I had B at our house there would be an extra bed.. but it just seemed like a big bed for her & it was pretty expensive because I wanted the wood one of course. In the end we ended up getting her a simple cute toddler bed from Target. It was inexpensive & we ended up finding some really cute bedding to go with it.

Once Stephen was done putting it together we let Shiloh in to see what she thought & this was her reaction:


So a new milestone has started. Shiloh is no longer a baby.. she is officially a toddler in her sweet toddler bed with her sweet self. Lets cross our fingers she will now sleep in her room in her bed & allow us to have a our bed to ourselves now.